Countdown

Monday, February 28, 2011

Mac 24/7

Looking for late night diner options?  Well, there are a couple options in Waikiki.  The other night I found myself drunkenly hungry at 2:30am and instead of going home and snacking on the Costco-sized box of Nutri-Grain bars in the pantry, I followed some people to a diner I had never heard of before: MAC 24/7 (2500 Kuhio Avenue Honolulu, HI 96815 - map here).  It's actually located in the bottom of the Hilton Waikiki Beach Hotel.


Walking in (at 2:30am, anyway) you almost feel like you're in a late-night Las Vegas diner.  The post-modern decor is a complete contrast to the ostentacious decor of most other restaurants in Waikiki hotels.  It also contrasts with the theme and style of the hotel's lobby.  It also has a feeling of being disconnected from the outside world of Waikiki.  Outside, even at 2:30am, there are people milling around, talking, and getting from bar to bar.  Inside, there were people stuffing their face in a desperate attempt to satisfy an onset of the munchies, which made the restaurant eerily quiet as everyone is too preoccupied with exhaustion and eating that talking is really not important.


The menu is fairly extensive and everything looks and sounds delicious.  You can order anything on the menu anytime of day, which is also nice.  The prices are not listed on the menu at the above link, but it's somewhat pricey for what you get.  I'd say the average price for everything was $15-18 for a plate.  The real draw to this place is obviously that it's open 24/7, but the food was actually very good.  I had the french toast, eggs, and bacon and was very please.  You could obvious go to iHop or Denny's, but Mac 24/7 has personality.  They also have the Pancake Challenge.  The Pancake Challenge was featured on the Travel Channel's Man v. Food. If you can finish the $15 dish of massive-sized pancakes in 90 minutes or less, you get your meal for free.  When we sat down, I thought I would try to conquer this challenge.  However, the waiter informed me that such a feat would be difficult and pointed to two guys next to our table who were SHARING the dish.  I asked their opinion on my daring attempt to make the short, but distinguished Pancake Hall of Fame, but they informed me that together they were unable to finish it.  I opted to fight another day when I was more hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment