Countdown

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Lanikai Triathlon

You may have noticed on the right side of the blog that I have a list of things I want to do before leaving Hawaii. One of my goals is to compete in a triathlon.  Well, I just registered for the Lanikai Sprint Triathlon.  It consists of a 500m swim, 20k bike, and 5k run and takes place on April 17, 2011.  There are a few races that take place earlier in the year, but I wanted to give myself plenty of time to train.  Even though this race isn't particularly long or grueling, I also have not trained for a triathlon before.  If any readers have suggestions for a training schedule (or even a bike), that would be much appreciated.  Right now, I have downloaded a few training schedules I found online and plan to start training seriously after the New Year.  For now, I think I am just going to start swimming as much as possible.  I can already run the 5k without any problems.  It's putting the swim, bike, and run together that presents the challenge.  I'm looking forward to it, though.  It should be fun.  If you're interested, you can click here to see the Race Map.

Also, since I have no idea what a good "time" is for a sprint triathlon, I looked up last year's race results and filtered by my demographic: Individual Male 25-29 (can I just say, btw, that I don't remember entering this age group...what ever happened to 18-24?).  Anyway, the top finisher for this division finished with a time 59:02 (he placed 7th overall).  The person who finished last in this division did so in 1:42:09.  He finished 335th overall. There were 366 total finishers.  You can see the complete list here, if you're so inclined.

What should my goal time be?  If anyone says, "you should win" I will automatically disqualify your opinion as ill-informed and ridiculous.  I would like to finish in the top 10 of my division.  Last year's 10th place finisher for the M25-29 division finished with a time of 1:07:41.  He was 39th overall.  That might be tough.  I was thinking my time would be somewhere around 1:15:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment