Countdown

Monday, September 27, 2010

Pineapple Soaking

Ok, so it wasn't as soon as I would have liked, but I finally bought a pineapple and am soaking the crown.  Now, as I mentioned in the first post, I learned how to do this from a 30-minute presentation at the Dole Plantation on the North Shore of Oahu.  The first step in the process is to get a pineapple and twist the leaves of the crown until a little of the stalk is removed.  I then peeled back about an inch or so of the leaves exposing the base of the crown.  You can actually see where the roots will probably develop. There are these small brown-colored bumps below the leaf scars, which are called "root primordia."


Anyway, you then need to fill a medium-sized bowl full of water and soak the base of the crown (the exposed part) for the next couple of days.  The guy doing the presentation said to soak it until you see roots starting to sprout, which he said should be a few days.  However, I looked online and saw that this process could take a couple weeks (changing the water every few days).  So I'll know by the end of the week how long it will take.  So that's it for right now.  The pineapple core is soaking on my kitchen counter.  My roommate saw it, and just looked at me like I was weird.  I suppose I deserved the look.  Not many people have pineapple leaves soaking in water on their kitchen counter.


On a side note, I bought a pineapple corer when I bought the pineapple.  Best infomercial product ever!  Here is a picture of it to the left.  It took me literally 1 minute to get the best parts of the pineapple out of the shell and cut up and stored in a tupperware container.  Actually, looking at the shell afterwards, I got several ideas for cool presentations for dinner parties or Iron Chef Competitions.  The pineapple in Hawaii, by the way, is the best pineapple I've ever had. 

No comments:

Post a Comment